Consumerism - is the equating of personal happiness with the purchasing of material possessions and consumption.
Lately, I have been thinking a lot about consumerism. One of the reasons this has been at the forefront of my mind is because we are trying to figure out how much I will need to work once the baby is born. I have been racking my brain trying to think of ways we can reduce our expenses only to realize that we live a fairly simple life. It has made me think though about how I can not participate in the consumerism that has overtaken society.
My best friend Hannah and I were talking last night about the pressure there is to buy in
In 2003 when I went to visit Diane Davis in
TAKING CARE OF THE EARTH
For the past 2.5 years we have been working very hard to recycle, use non-toxic cleaners and be mindful of how our life affects the earth. Lately, I have also been thinking about the water crisis. In CA we are eventually going to run out of water. Farmers are being told they have to limit their water use and so in an effort to do so they are reducing their crops. My questions is what is my part in this crisis? I have decided that when I shower I will turn off the water to shave my legs. Also, when I am waiting for the water to warm up before I do dishes I am going to try and collect the water and use it to water our lawn. This may seem silly to some but for me it weighs heavy on conscience. I feel like often times Christians just figure that eventually when Christ returns this earth will perish so why should we take care of it. I think this is sad and that we need to be good stewards of what God has given us.
I am also going to try and start composting. I want to plant a garden so it will reduce the waste we contribute to the landfill and it will also provide nutrients for my garden.
So ya I am pretty green! But in my mind what I do is very minor in the grand scheme. What are you doing to protect this beautiful earth? Are you using the recycling bin the city gives you? Would it really be that much more work for you to do so?
3 comments:
Yes, we definately recycle. But for some reason I have a TERRIBLE habit of not turning the water off when I brush my teeth. There is so much more we could do.
This is really a fabulous post. It inspired me to write about it on my blog too.
Nice post Julie...I am with you on this one. And it's fun to watch my kids take care of the earth. Haley doesn't even throw her lunch trash away at school anymore. She brings it home so we can recycle the plastic. How awesome is that! And she thought of it on her own!!!
Also - as far as getting the best stuff for your kids...just pick friends who don't care about that. Get stuff that is good and that will last for awhile...and beyond that, who cares what brand it is.
Also - buy as much as you can at yard sales. More than 75% of our toys/books are from yard sales. And about 50% of my kids clothes. Not to mention it is cheaper and it is recyling. It's a win-win!
this is a wonderful post...as christians we should be more responsible about the earth God made for us...thanks for sharing :o)
ps, my hubby is an mk from Kenya :)
Post a Comment